Thursday, April 9

Quilts and Birthdays

Every week in school we have a "Letter of the Week" and a couple weeks ago it was the letter Q so, of course, we made a quilt! One of the girls helped me pick out the fabrics from my scrap pile. I pieced those together at home into the long strips, then let the kids help me sew the sashing on. They used their hands to push the pedal and I fed it through the machine. Not perfect, but they enjoyed sewing.
Here's the result:

I picked a pastel rainbow striped binding, I love stripes on binding!

The back is an adorable Sesame Street flannel. It was difficult to pick a gender-neutral print that was cute and kind of went with our rainbow theme. All our kids love Sesame Street, so in the end I think it was a winner, plus it's cuddly and soft.
And it's already getting lots of nice use as a perfect lap quilt/nap quilt.


My mother-in-law raises alpacas and I was lucky enough to snag some of the wool she has laying around the basement. She doesn't have time to spin it, so I told her I'd give it a try. I ordered a couple spindles from
Ma & Pa's Spindles and got to work. Here's my first try:

My MIL had previously dyed the wool and had it roved, a beautiful mix of purple, blue and pink. It came out thicker than I intended, but I was pleasantly surprised for my first try. I got some more wool for my birthday, which I am spinning right now.

Which brings me to my next topic:
My 23rd Birthday!

We played pin the tail on the donkey and ate a rainbow cake:

We also went to Disney World for Spring Break last week, but I will post about that later. I wanted to get something up for the time being, my posts have been way too few and far between, but I don't find a lot of time on my hands these days. Yet somehow I am making time for this: The Oh, Fransson! Quilt Along. I have a lovely stash of Anna Maria Horner, Heather Bailey, Amy Butler, Tula Pink, and Melissa Averinos saved up to make a flowery, girly spring quilt. When I saw the quilt along, I knew that would be the perfect excuse to start working on the quilt.

post signature

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails