Thursday, December 6

Grandma's Knit Dish Cloth

My grandma has been knitting for oh - half a century or so. One of her specialties has always been dish cloths that she knits for all her daughters and grand daughters (there are a lot of us). Unfortunately, her arthritis keeps her from knitting like she used to, and there has been a lull in knit dish cloth use ever since. My mom asked me to please get the pattern and make her some dish cloths, and then my aunts all joined in on the wanting. So I got the pattern and knit my first dish cloth tonight. It took a couple hours, but it turned out just like Grandma's, which I pride myself in. I want to keep the tradition going, so I will share it with all of you now. Hopefully some day I will put some pictures up.

Use number 8 needles and 100% cotton yarn (We use Sugar n Cream)

Cast on 4 stitches-knit across
Row 1- K2, increase in next st, K1 (5st)
Row 2- K3, increase in next st,K1 (6st)
Row 3- K3, yarn over,knit to end
Repeat 3rd row until there are 48 stitches on needle then decrease as follows:
K2, K2 together, yarn over, K2 together, knit to end.
Repeat this row until 8 stitches remain.
Next row- K2, K2 together, K2 together, K2 (6 stitches)
Next row K1, K2 together, K2 together, K1 (4 stitches)
Bind off

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails